With interests, you can learn more about your users, like their preferred shopping vertical or favorite brand. This feature lets your users choose what they want to receive based on their personal interests.
In this article, you’ll learn how to configure your interests. After setting up interests, you’ll need to make them visible to users on the Manage preferences landing page.
Before configuring your interests, here are some things to know:
- By default, all new users are subscribed to every interest. All users will be automatically subscribed to new interests that are created.
- Interests can be assigned to emails to make sure that users only receive content that they want.
- A user is eligible to receive an email if the email is unassigned with interests, or is assigned at least one interest that the user has included in their preferences.
How interests work
To better understand whether your users will receive emails based on their personal interests, take the following example:
- This brand has four interests: Mens, Womens, Kids, and Home.
- User 1 is subscribed to all interests, while User 2 is subscribed only to Womens and Kids.
- Email A does not have any interests assigned; Email B has the interest Mens assigned; and Email C has the interests Mens and Kids assigned.
Both users will receive Email A
- Provided they meet the stage and segment criteria, all users are eligible to receive emails that do not have interests.
Only User 1 will receive Email B
- User 1 will receive Email B because they are subscribed to the Mens interest in their subscription preferences.
- User 2 will not receive Email B because they explicitly excluded the Mens interest in their subscription preferences.
Both users will receive Email C
- Even though User 2 explicitly excluded the Mens interest in their subscription preferences, they are eligible to receive Email C because they are subscribed to the Kids interest in their subscription preferences.
Create an interest
To configure your interests, find the Interests section on the Subscriptions page.
- To create an interest, click the Add interest button. A new row will appear in the table.
- Add a label for this interest. This text is what your users will see when managing their preferences.
- Click the Add button in the row. Added interests will automatically appear in the landing page when users manage their preferences.
Reorder your interests
The order shown in the table reflects the order of interests that your users will see when managing their preferences on the landing page. You can reorder your interests by dragging a row to a new position in the table.
Assign interests to an email
To assign an email with an interest, navigate to the Settings section within an email’s settings.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Choose the option for which interests apply to this email.
You can assign multiple interests to an email. If a given user is subscribed to any of the interests that have been assigned to an email, then they will receive the email.
Use interests in segments
Any of the interests that you created in the Subscriptions page are available to use in your segments. To use an interest in your segments, navigate to the Segment Builder in Smart Segments.
Interest filters can be used for exporting purposes, or for building more complex email targeting. Consider the following example:
- If a given user is subscribed to any of the interests that have been assigned to an email through its settings, then they will receive the email.
- This segment includes users who are subscribed only to the Mens interest. Users who are subscribed to other interests like Womens, Kids, or Home are not eligible for this segment, even if they are subscribed to the Mens interest.