In Cortex, you can create segments by registration sources. The registration source represents which source of traffic your user signed up from.
To create a segment that is filtered by registration source, navigate to your Smart Segments page and create a new segment.
- Within the segment builder, search for "registration source" in the Field Type field.
- Select a Registration Source option:
- Registration source - the first registration source of a user; this value cannot be changed.
- Last registration source - the last registration source of a user, this value will be set anew every time a user comes in with another registration source.
- Set the "is" dropdown to "equal to".
- Enter in the specific registration source.
To further demonstrate how each of the registration source options work, see this example:
User Jim Smith clicks on one of your Facebook Lead Ads, goes to your site, and signs up. Their registration source will be set to "Facebook Lead Ad".
Then, a week later, Jim Smith signs up through a Yieldify sweepstakes program. The Registration source will still be "Facebook Lead Ad", and last registration source will be set to "Yieldify".
Therefore, user Jim Smith would be included in the count for this segment, in which the Registration Source is set to Facebook Lead Ad:
Additionally, user Jim Smith would be included in the count for this segment, in which the Last Registration Source is set to Yieldify:
Note: Last registration source is a revolving door. Each new source that a user comes in through will reset this field each time. That being said, users don't typically come in through many different registration sources over a short period of time.
If you want to learn more about registration sources and how the data gets into Cortex, check out this article.