Cortex's list upload feature allows you to import new users with specific user properties, as well as update existing users' information. This is perfect for making updates to groups of users with a specific attribute, such as registration source or location, or bulk-unsubscribing a list of users. The email address entered in your file will determine whether a new user is added or an existing user is updated, and the appropriate entry/update will be made based on what's included in your file.
There are three steps to this process:
Step 1: Amend your file
Before diving into Cortex, the spreadsheet must be reformatted to organize the data you want to import. This will involve deleting and renaming column headers, as you can see in the examples below.
While only the email attribute is required, any user attributes, including customer user attributes, can be defined or updated by inserting values through your list upload. You will need to match the column header against the attribute name in Cortex.
Standard user attributes are listed below:
- account_created_on (YYYY-MM-DD format required)
- date_unsubscribed (YYYY-MM-DD format required, any date will unsubscribe the user)
Note the following:
- Custom user attributes must be created before you perform the list upload
- Headers must be lowercase
Example of an original spreadsheet:
Example of an amended spreadsheet:
Step 2: Save Your Spreadsheet
When saving your spreadsheet, take note of the following:
- It must be saved in the proper file type, .csv or .txt.
- The format of the date must be re-formatted to YYYY-MM-DD if any edits are made after it's been saved as a .csv or .txt and not uploaded to Cortex.
Step 3: Upload Your Spreadsheet
Now that the spreadsheet is ready, log into your account to upload the list, and access your Segments page.
- Click Upload in the "Your Segments" section.
- Name your list upload.
- (Optional) Enter a description for your upload.
- Select the import option "Import a comma-separated .csv/.txt file"
Note: Alternatively, you can choose the "Copy/Paste" option if your file is small.
- Click Browse for a file to attach your file to the upload.
- Click Upload.
- Learn how to format dates in Excel.
- Use the formula =CONCATENATE(col1," ",col2) to combine your first and last name columns with a space between them or see: How to merge First Name and Last Name to full_name.
- You can use the upload feature to mass unsubscribe users. Simply update the column header "date_unsubscribed" with the date you wish their unsubscribe status to begin (any date will unsubscribe the user). Please remember to use the YYYY-MM-DD format. More info here.
- Wait for your list to finish uploading and processing before creating a campaign, experiment, or smart segment that references your new list.
- If you upload a user that is not in your database, their account created date will be the date of the upload and they will be eligible to receive New To Your Brand and other acquisition stage messaging beginning 48 hours after the account created date.