Uploading User Data with the List Importer
Cortex's list upload feature allows you to import new users with specific user properties, as well as update existing users' information. This is perfect for marking groups of users with a specific registration source or location, or bulk-unsubscribing a list of users. It will match based on email address and add or update user information where you include it.
Let's get started!
Step 1: Amend Your File
Before diving into Cortex, the spreadsheet must be reformatted to organize the data you want to import. This will involve deleting and renaming column headers as you can see in the examples below.
While only email is required, any user attribute can be set or updated by inserting values through your list upload. You will need to match the column header against the attribute name in Cortex.
Example standard user attributes are listed below:
- account_created_on (YYYY-MM-DD format required)
- date_unsubscribed (YYYY-MM-DD format required, any date will unsubscribe the user)
Please note that the headers must be lowercase.
Example of original spreadsheet:
Example of amended spreadsheet:
Step 2: Save Your Spreadsheet
- It must be saved in the proper file type, .csv or .txt.
- The format of the date must be re-formatted to YYYY-MM-DD if any edits are made after it's been saved as a .csv or .txt and not uploaded to Cortex.
Step 3: Upload Your Spreadsheet
- Now that the spreadsheet is ready, go to your Cortex admin to upload the list.
- Go to the Smart Segments page from the menu on the home page. It will be under the Audience section of the menu.
- Scroll down to Your Segments section and select Upload.
- Now you'll be in the New List page where the list can be named and the .csv uploaded.
- Alternatively, you can copy and paste the data from your excel sheet if it is a short list.
- How to format dates in Excel.
- Use the formula =CONCATENATE(col1," ",col2) to combine your first and last name columns with a space between them or see: How to merge First Name and Last Name to full_name.
- You can use the upload feature to mass unsubscribe users. Simply update the column header "date_unsubscribed" with the date you wish their unsubscribe status to begin (any date will unsubscribe the user). Please remember to use the YYYY-MM-DD format. More info here.
- Wait for your list to finish uploading and processing before creating a campaign, experiment, or smart segment that references your new list.
- If you upload a user that is not in your database, their account created date will be the date of the upload and they will be eligible to receive New To Your Brand and other acquisition stage messaging beginning 48 hours after the account created date.