Please click here if you are using the legacy version of Cortex.
This article is part of the Cortex Stage Guide. For the Subscription Cortex Stage Guide click here.
When a client is classified by Cortex as "Churned" it means our data science models predict they will not purchase again, and this is predicted with 95-99.5% accuracy. This means your Churned email is the marketing equivalent of a hail mary pass, a last chance to defy the odds and bring that customer back to your brand for another purchase.
Who will receive Churned?
Customers who have made at least one purchase, are not exhibiting repeat purchase behavior, and have moved past the "At Risk" churn state will receive Churned emails.
When will Churned send?
Churned will send on a customer's preferred interval after a customer's churn score falls out of the "At Risk" state, and will follow up at the user's best interval. Churned will send for up to two weeks unless the user qualifies for a different Cortex stage by returning to your online store (browse/cart/search abandon), purchasing (follow-up, ready to buy), or remaining inactive (moves to Needs Nurturing).
How do Product Recs work for Churned?
Product recommendations for Churned will be based on the data that has been collected and analyzed for each individual’s purchase history and browsing behavior, the behavior of similar customers, the popularity of items in the catalog, and more. This allows Cortex to predict the preferences of each individual and target them with the best recommendations.
You can learn more about adding dynamic product recommendations to your Churned emails here.
You can learn more about the Churned product recommendations here.
- Create 2-4 templates with 3-5 subject lines so Cortex can optimize your open and click rate
- Use targeted language that shows appreciation for the customer and calls them towards another purchase
- Include a strong Call To Action
- Use Smart Segments to target one-time and repeat purchasers differently
- Use Smart Segments to target hero images based on purchase history or demographics
- Use an aggressive discount to get customers "over the hump" of a second purchase
- Use Dynamic Recommendations optimized by Cortex
- Provide smaller discounts or no discount for repeat purchasers to avoid diminishing the value reputation of your products at full price
Setting up your Churned From Your Business email:
1. You will see the Churned From Your Business stage tile in your account.
2. Click on the Churned From Your Business stage and select "New Email"
3. Fill in the required email setting fields
Stage: The stage that this email will appear under
Email name: The name of your email.
From name, From email, Reply-to email address (optional): Update if you want to send emails from an address different than what was set up during onboarding.
Email subject lines: Add multiple subject lines for testing.
Preview text (optional): Add the text you wish to display before the subject line when viewed in the inbox. More info here.
Incentives (optional): Select the incentives you wish to populate or split test in the email. More info here.
Recommendation Scheme (optional): If you want to select a specific recommendation scheme for your email, choose the scheme from the drop down. More info here.
Segment targeting (optional): Select a segment from the drop down if you want a specific cohort to receive this email.
Item targeting (optional): Select a specific category or item type to include or exclude from the product recommendations in this email.
Send only once (optional): Enable this setting if you would like users to receive this email a single time.
Select email type: Select how the email will be constructed. Selecting HTML Editor will allow you to build the email using HTML code. The other three selections will use the in-app Template Builder tool.
4. Click "Continue to Editor" to format and build your email.
5. After editing the email click "Continue" and then click "Save Email"
6. Make sure to always send tests of your email before enabling. More info here on test sends before enabling.
7. To enable the email, click on the drop down and select "Activate".
8. Reporting on your new template is found in Insights --> Artificial Intelligence Stats --> Trend Details.