Please click here if you are using the legacy version of Cortex.
This article is part of the Cortex Stage Guide. For the Subscription Cortex Stage Guide click here.
When a client is classified by Cortex as "Churned" it means our data science models predict they will not purchase again, and this is predicted with 95-99.5% accuracy. This means your Churned email is the marketing equivalent of a hail mary pass, a last chance to defy the odds and bring that customer back to your brand for another purchase.
Who receives the Churned email?
Customers who have made at least one purchase, are not exhibiting repeat purchase behavior, and have moved past the At Risk stage will be sorted into the Churned stage in their customer lifecycle. Churned emails will send for up to two weeks after the user’s transition into the Churned stage, and then the user will move into Needs Nurturing.
When will the Churned email send?
The Churned email will send on a customer's preferred interval once the customer's churn score falls out of the "At Risk" state, and additional follow up emails will send at the user's best interval. Churned emails will send for up to two weeks unless the user qualifies for a different Cortex stage by returning to your online store.
How do Churned Product Recommendations work?
Product recommendations for Churned emails will be based on the data that has been collected and analyzed for each individual’s purchase history and browsing behavior, the behavior of similar customers, the popularity of items in the catalog, and more. This allows Cortex to predict the preferences of each individual and target them with the best recommendations.
Churned best practices and recommendations
Keep in mind the following when building your Churned email:
- Create 2-4 templates with 3-5 subject lines so Cortex can optimize your open and click rate
- Use targeted language that shows appreciation for the customer and calls them towards another purchase
- Include a strong Call To Action
- Use Smart Segments to target one-time and repeat purchasers differently
- Use Smart Segments to target hero images based on purchase history or demographics
- Use an aggressive discount to get customers "over the hump" of a second purchase
- Use Dynamic Recommendations optimized by Cortex
- Provide smaller discounts or no discount for repeat purchasers to avoid diminishing the value reputation of your products at full price
Set up your Churned email
- Under the Cortex menu on the left, click Stages.
- Under the "Winback" tab, click the Churned block.
- Click New email > Create new.
Follow these steps for setting up your new email.