So you want to offer an incentive to your new prospects? That's the first step in understanding your prospect behavior. If you'd like to accomplish this in the Data Science way, it's best to use the incentive optimizer and allow it to determine the best incentive based on the stage.
Some marketer's prefer to have an incentive follow a user around during his/her welcome journey. In this article we'll teach you how to split up the users, add the segments to specific creative and add specific incentives to match your testing groups.
Setting up Your Testing Groups
The first thing we'll need to do is evenly split your user base. You won't need to worry about when they created the account or any other filters as Cortex will take care of identifying new users and determining when and if they purchase.
- Navigate to the Smart Segments Page
- Create an A/B testing Filter using the A/B testing groups filter
- Split the list into the number of tests you want to run. In this case we split it into 4 groups since we'll have 4 incentives to test.
- Group 1 - Current Incentive (Control)
- Group 2 - No Incentive
- Group 3 - 10% off $150
- Group 4 - 15% off $200
- Set the first filter to select only the first group
- Repeat steps 1-4 until you've created a new segment for each test
Set Up Your Creative and Incentives
- Set up your incentives by following this article. Be sure to set up one for each test that will include an incentive. If you have a test that does not include an incentive simply remove the incentive merge tags from the email creative.
- Clone your original (Control Template) and be sure the correct merge tags are being utilized to populate your incentive dynamically. You can also use static content for your incentive messaging if the code being used is not unique.
- Apply the incentive and segment to each template, being sure to match the incentive to the test criteria as set above.
And . . . We're Off!
You're now all set to start your test in the New To Your Brand stage. In order to be sure that the user sees the same code over the journey, repeat the above section in both the New + High and New + Low Intent
For Bonus Points you can also extend this into the Needs Nurturing stage by adding the "No. of Purchases = 0" Filter feature to your segments.