You've partnered with some excellent brands, and have a batch of new, quality leads. It's time to add them to your mailing list and welcome them with personalized messaging. This article will walk you through the steps of uploading the users, identifying which users are new, and updating the new users with the proper registration source and setting up content to welcome the users.
Uploading The Sweepstakes Emails
The first thing you'll want to do after running a sweepstakes is to input the newly acquired user data into Cortex. These emails can be entered into ReSci using the list upload feature. To do so, follow the instructions outlined in the How To Upload Lists help desk article. After completing the initial list upload of your sweepstakes users, move on to the next step.
Identifying New Users
Now that all of the sweepstakes users have been entered into Cortex, we will want to refine this list to include only new users. It is possible that some of the emails acquired during the sweepstakes already belong to existing users who should not receive messaging geared towards new leads.
The new users can be identified by creating a Smart Segment to retrieve users from the uploaded list whose signup date is today. To do so, please follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to the Smart Segments page (https://members.retentionscience.com/lists) and click "Create New".
- Add a condition to retrieve users from the uploaded list. Select the "Users in Segment" condition, specify the the name of the sweepstakes list, and select "is true".
- Add a condition to retrieve users who were created today. Select the "Signup Date" condition, select "equal to (date)" from the dropdown, and enter the date that the sweepstakes list was uploaded.
- Click "Create" to save this segment.
- Search for this segment in the Smart Segments page and export the segment as a Google Audience.
Updating the Registration Source for New Users
At this point we have identified all of the new leads from the list of sweepstakes emails. Now we will want uniquely tag this distinct group of users, in order to analyze their performance. The performance metrics for these users will provide insight into the quality of the leads acquired in this sweepstakes, and can be used to identify better acquisition channels moving forward.
The new users can be flagged with a unique registration source value.For more information regarding the importance of registration sources, click here. This registration source will be assigned using a list upload. To do so, please follow the instructions below:
- Open the downloaded segment. Insert a new row into your file, set "email" as the header for column A.
- Add a new column with a header of "registration_source". Enter the registration source value that will be used to identify these users.
- Save the file in .csv format. Mac users, please save the file using the Windows .csv format.
- Upload the list using the same steps outlined in the Uploading the Sweepstakes Emails section.
- The registration source values for these users has been updated, and segments can be used to only include users with this unique registration source value.
Creating Content Specific to Sweepstakes Leads
Now that the new leads from the sweepstakes can be identified by registration source, we can begin sending them a personalized New to Your Brand stage email. To do so, please follow the instructions below:
- Create a segment to retrieve users who have the sweepstakes registration source. This segment will be applied to the New to Your Brand email, containing specific content for these users.
- Clone the existing New to Your Brand template, and personalize the content to users from the sweepstakes. The header text could be updated to thank the user for their involvement in the sweepstakes. For even more personalization, include the name of the sweepstakes to remind users what they had signed up for.
- Link the sweepstakes specific segment to the personalized template.
- Update the segment conditions for the other New to Your Brand templates to exclude users if they contain the sweepstakes registration source. Doing so will ensure that sweepstakes users will receive the personalized email.
- After confirming that users with the sweepstakes registration source will only be sent the personalized email, enable the sweepstakes template.