Please click here if you are using the legacy version of Cortex.
This article is part of the Cortex Stage Guide. For the Subscription Cortex Stage Guide click here.
The follow up stage is your first marketing email with a customer after they make a purchase. It's important in defining your ongoing relationship with a customer: expressing your appreciation for their purchase, solidifying your brand message, and preparing them for future purchases by promoting additional offerings from your brand.
Who will receive Follow Up?
When a customer makes a purchase they will be scheduled to receive a follow up email.
When will Follow Up send?
Follow Up sends on the date specified in your cortex account settings. The default send time is the third day after the customer's most recent purchase. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Cortex Settings (see here).
How do Product Recs work for Follow Up?
For Follow Up emails, the first recommendation will be an item the customer has recently purchased, and the subsequent recommendations are based on items similar to or often purchased with the first product recommendation.
You can learn more about adding dynamic product recommendations to your Follow Up emails here.
- Use strong branding to reinforce the appeal
- Reinforce your brand's key value proposition
- Use a minimum of 3 dynamic recommendations per template
- Remind the shopper of any standard incentive
(i.e. "free shipping on all purchases")
- Do not include an incentive as this can devalue your brand
Setting up your Follow Up email:
1. You will see the Follow Up stage tile in your account.
2. Click on the Follow Up stage and select "New Email"
3. Fill in the required email setting fields
Stage: The stage that this email will appear under
Email name: The name of your email.
From name, From email, Reply-to email address (optional): Update if you want to send emails from an address different than what was set up during onboarding.
Email subject lines: Add multiple subject lines for testing.
Preview text (optional): Add the text you wish to display before the subject line when viewed in the inbox. More info here.
Incentives (optional): Select the incentives you wish to populate or split test in the email. More info here.
Segment targeting (optional): Select a segment from the drop down if you want a specific cohort to receive this email.
Send only once (optional): Enable this setting if you would like users to receive this email a single time.
Select email type: Select how the email will be constructed. Selecting HTML Editor will allow you to build the email using HTML code. The other three selections will use the in-app Template Builder tool.
4. Click "Continue to Editor" to format and build your email.
5. After editing the email click "Continue" and then click "Save Email"
6. Make sure to always send tests of your email before enabling. More info here on test sends before enabling.
7. To enable the email, click on the drop down and select "Activate".
8. Reporting on your new template is found in Insights --> Artificial Intelligence Stats --> Trend Details.