Please click here if you are using the legacy version of Cortex.
This article is part of the Cortex Stage Guide. For the Subscription Cortex Stage Guide click here.
According to Experian, birthday emails are one of the best performing email campaigns:
- Birthday emails have a 481% higher transaction rate than promotional emails.
- Birthday emails generate 342% higher revenue per email than promotional emails.
- Birthday emails have 179% higher unique click rates than promotional emails.
With numbers like that, it seems crazy not to run a birthday campaign! Grab a share of that revenue for your own business with the Cortex Birthday stage. The Birthday stage provides an automated touch once-per-year to give your customers a personalized birthday email to incentivize a purchase.
Who will receive Birthday?
Every user with a stored birthday will receive Birthday messaging, unless you send a promo blast that day.
When will Birthday send?
Birthday will send every year on your user's stored birthday.
How do Product Recs work for Birthday?
Product recommendations for Birthday will be based on the data that has been collected and analyzed for each individual’s purchase history and browsing behavior, the behavior of similar customers, the popularity of items in the catalog, and more. This allows Cortex to predict the preferences of each individual and target them with the best recommendations.
- Greet your user personally, consider using their name in the subject line or pre-header text
- Reinforce your brand image and key value proposition
- Use a minimum of 3 dynamic recommendations per template
- Provide a small incentive
Setting up your Birthday email:
1. You will see the Birthday stage tile in your account.
2. Click on the Birthday stage and select "New Email"
3. Fill in the required email setting fields
Stage: The stage that this email will appear under
Email name: The name of your email.
From name, From email, Reply-to email address (optional): Update if you want to send emails from an address different than what was set up during onboarding.
Email subject lines: Add multiple subject lines for testing.
Preview text (optional): Add the text you wish to display before the subject line when viewed in the inbox. More info here.
Incentives (optional): Select the incentives you wish to populate or split test in the email. More info here.
Recommendation Scheme (optional): If you want to select a specific recommendation scheme for your email, choose the scheme from the drop down. More info here.
Segment targeting (optional): Select a segment from the drop down if you want a specific cohort to receive this email.
Item targeting (optional): Select a specific category or item type to include or exclude from the product recommendations in this email.
Select email type: Select how the email will be constructed. Selecting HTML Editor will allow you to build the email using HTML code. The other three selections will use the in-app Template Builder tool.
4. Click "Continue to Editor" to format and build your email.
5. After editing the email click "Continue" and then click "Save Email"
6. Make sure to always send tests of your email before enabling. More info here on test sends before enabling.
7. To enable the email, click on the drop down and select "Activate".
8. Reporting on your new template is found in Insights --> Artificial Intelligence Stats --> Trend Details.