Please click here if you are using the legacy version of Cortex.
This article is part of the Cortex Stage Guide. For the Subscription Cortex Stage Guide click here.
Search Abandon is one of the most carefully targeted Cortex stages, and converts very well due to the engagement level of the targeted users and accuracy of the recommendations.
Who will receive Search Abandon?
Search Abandon is activated after a user visits your online store, searches a word or phrase, and does not convert. The search phrase must also match keywords in product names or descriptions in the item catalog, otherwise Cortex will default back to Browse Abandon. Search abandon will also be cancelled if you send a promo blast on that day.
When will Search Abandon send?
Search Abandon usually sends the next day, according to the user's best time to contact. If the user does not qualify for a different Cortex stage Search Abandon will follow up at the user's best interval over a 2-week period.
How do Product Recs work for Search Abandon?
Cortex uses language recognition to identify search terms that match product names and descriptions on your web store. It balances user preferences and search term accuracy to recommend a set of product recommendations unique to each user and matching search term.
You can learn more about adding dynamic product recommendations to your Search Abandon emails here.
- Address the customer directly: you know they were looking!
- Use a minimum of 3 dynamic recommendations per template
- Use language that reflects your brand and inspires engagement
- Remind the shopper of any standard incentive
(i.e. "free shipping on all purchases")
- Do not include a special discount or incentive
Setting up your Search Abandon email:
1. You will see the Search Abandon stage tile in your account.
2. Click on the Search Abandon stage and select "New Email"
3. Fill in the required email setting fields
Stage: The stage that this email will appear under
Email name: The name of your email.
From name, From email, Reply-to email address (optional): Update if you want to send emails from an address different than what was set up during onboarding.
Email subject lines: Add multiple subject lines for testing.
Preview text (optional): Add the text you wish to display before the subject line when viewed in the inbox. More info here.
Incentives (optional): Select the incentives you wish to populate or split test in the email. More info here.
Segment targeting (optional): Select a segment from the drop down if you want a specific cohort to receive this email.
Item targeting (optional): Select a specific category or item type to include or exclude from the product recommendations in this email.
Send only once (optional): Enable this setting if you would like users to receive this email a single time.
Select email type: Select how the email will be constructed. Selecting HTML Editor will allow you to build the email using HTML code. The other three selections will use the in-app Template Builder tool.
4. Click "Continue to Editor" to format and build your email.
5. After editing the email click "Continue" and then click "Save Email"
6. Make sure to always send tests of your email before enabling. More info here on test sends before enabling.
7. To enable the email, click on the drop down and select "Activate".
8. Reporting on your new template is found in Insights --> Artificial Intelligence Stats --> Trend Details.